01 February 2006

The State of the Union

Last night marked the first time this century that I didn’t listen to a President’s State of the Union Address. I was finishing a drink at Teller’s in downtown Lawrence, recovering from a difficult day being the dad, and an offer falling through on the house we have for sale. Anyway, I distinctly remember watching the Clintonian mea culpa address while in Hawaii, and a later Slick Willy edition from a bar in Kansas City while home on leave. Have I reached the age where I no longer care how they posture, or are the immediate world of diapers and being the dad more important? In any event, I really didn’t care what he said, but was intrigued to hear that he acknowledged our ‘addiction’ to oil without muttering ANWR in the same breath.

Anything that calls attention to my country’s ridiculous practice of paying massive amounts of our GDP to people who want to kill us so we can all drive Hummers to Wal-Mart is a good thing. Maybe that will be my Earth Day piece for the KC Star.

The littlest guy is sick, happiness is holding a puking toddler over the nearest sink. As a good old friend of mine recently told me, 'you procreated, that changes everything.' You can say that again Carl.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?